Croatian Recipes: Breskvice
Breskvice, or peach-shaped sweets, are one of the most common sweets made in Croatia.
Often found at weddings, christenings, family parties, they are particularly popular in the east of the country. They are time consuming to make but are worth the effort hence they are made for special occasions.
Eggs – 3
Icing sugar – 200 g
Vanilla sugar – 1
Oil – 2 dl
White rough flour – 500 g
Lemon – 1/2
Milk – 3 teaspoons
Baking powder – 1 small pack
Jam (peach or apricot)- 250 g
Peach flesh crumbled
Marmalade – 1 dl
- Add grated lemon skin to the flour.
- Mix the baking powder with 3 teaspoons of milk and leave to rise.
- Beat the eggs and add the vanilla sugar. Keep beating adding oil little by little at the same time.
- Mix the eggs into the flour and the baking powder mixed with milk and mix till dough is soft.
- Sprinkle flour on a board and shape the the dough into a loaf. Place the formed loaf in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Take a small piece of the dough, roll it out, cut into pieces the size of noodles and then shape them into balls. Place the balls on wax paper on a baking tray.
- Bake the peach balls on 180 ° C for 15 minutes in the over until they are golden brown under.
- With a knife scoop out the inside of the peach balls but be careful that the peach balls will not break up when the filling goes in.
- Mix crumbled peach flesh with jam, marmalade and rum to make the filling. Now fill the peach balls with the filling.
- Join two filled peach ball halves together, soak in diluted strawberry extract, and then roll in crystal sugar.